Stampers Anonymous – Tim Holtz Collection – Paris to London
I'm on a real roll with the rubbahdultery! I've got another card for you, this time with a set of stamps I bought a while back, which I decided to use with some watercolor techniques to participate in a watercolor challenge over at Simon Says Stamp. And I think it turned out pretty awesome even though at times I thought it was just, well, BUTT UGLY. But (ha!) the nice thing about watercolor is that you can keep working the pain and sometimes you can pull what looks like a failure out of the fire. Lookie:
GOJUS! (YILM!) I basically used the same technique I used on this post, but this time I tried some different products for the watercolors. I had seen a few bloggers experimenting with Prima Water Soluble Oil Pastels, so when I was looking at them on Amazon, I noticed that Crayola makes a similar product called Crayola Portfolio Series Water Soluble Oil Pastels, and they were half the price and had great reviews. So I decided to buy them and see how they worked.
I started out by taping the Fabriano watercolor postcard down on my clipboard and spritzing with water. I then started coloring directing on the paper. I used my Aquapainter to further spread the color around. After I got as much color on as I thought would work, I thoroughly dried it with my heat tool. Then I taped down the Sun Ray stencil from My Favorite Things stamps and used my stamp wipe to gently remove the paint in the areas of the stencil. This worked brilliantly. The color came up so much more easily than the Peerless Watercolors!
I pulled out my Archival Basic Black from Stampin' Up! and stamped the Big Ben image from the Paris to London stamp set from Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz on the paper, plus a few of the other images. I thought it looked a little lackluster, so I decided to add some more color with the Peerless Watercolors, as those colors are more vibrant. It was gorgeous!!!
With the addition of some washi tape, a retired stamp from the Stampin' Up! Four Square set, decorative postage stamp scissors from Fiskars, some Martha Stewart ribbon, and an arrow clip from Stampin' Up, I mounted the piece on thick Whisper White with foam tape to give it some stability and to keep it flat.
The clock face gave me a bit of trouble, but I ended up trying to glue a new clock face over it, and when I decided I hated it, I pulled it off and it took the paper back down to white in that one spot, which just MAKES the whole thing.
So there's another lapse into rubbahdultery. I promise to bring you another Stampin' Up! card for my next post though! Ta!