Fab Friday 118 – Simon Says Stamp Artsy Fruits
This week we have a color challenge:
This color combination made me think of Mamie Eisenhower and her love of pink and green. It also made me think of watermelon, which brought me to grabbing this great set by Simon Says Stamp. I wanted to do something fun with it, so I decided to play with a technique that Jennifer McGuire did in a video. Jennifer has a real gift for selling me things, and after I watched that video I had to get the alphabet dies from Altenew that she used. I felt this was the perfect time to try them out with this technique. I think these two cards (yes TWO!) turned out fabulous! Here’s the first one:
I spent some hours on this and made mistakes. The trick of stamping the pink piece and the white in the MISTI alternating worked like a charm when I remembered to mask the watermelons that I had already stamped. I ended up trashing more than one piece of card stock, alas! I got both pieces stamped and cut the letters out, making sure to save the centers of the O and the E so I could glue those in. I decided to make this into a shaker card, and then when I got up the next day to look at it, I was not satisfied with how little the sequins were moving and tore the whole thing apart and added another layer of foam tape because that is just the kind of crazy that I am. But you knew that! By some miracle and the wonders of UnDu, my card still looked great even after the trauma of deconstruction and reconstruction.
I added gel pen to the watermelon rind on the pink card stock so that it looked more realistic and looked more like the white card stock. I borrowed a sentiment from Funny Food and partially inked it up to get the “You’re” up at the top in Slate ink.
I had used the word “one” in the greeting using my alphabet dies, so I just inked the “in a melon” part of the greeting in Versamark on Slate card stock and heat embossed it in white. I just snipped the end of this little strip off at an angle and popped it up with some more foam tape. Since I had used the sequins inside the card, I decided that some Doodlebug Design enamel dots made a great accent.
The next morning, I watched the video again. Why hadn’t I stamped a third background so I could use those cut-out letters? What the heck was wrong with me? So I put the cut out letters back into the holes in the front of the shaker card, put a strip of Post-It tape over the top and carefully lifted them up. I added some temporary adhesive to the back of the letters and laid them tape and all on another piece of card stock then took the tape off. This became my “jig” for lining up the stamps in the MISTI. I would put this piece over the top of the piece I was stamping, line up a stamp, take the jig out and stamp. It took a few tries to get this right, carefully masking every time, but it worked beautifully!
I popped the letters up on dimensionals, and I added some of the watermelon sequins as accents.
The N and the E got bent in the narrow spots with all the manipulation, so I just glued sequins over the places where the creases were…Totally hid them! Too much work went into this card to mess up and give up! But the next time, I’ll know better.
I had a ton of fun making these! Thanks Jennifer!
Below is my list of products that I used, and I have used compensated affiliate links where they were available, as I now participate in affiliate programs for Simon Says Stamp, Amazon, Ellen Hutson LLC, Scrapbook.com, Gina K, Sizzix, and Blick Art Supplies. Stampin’ Up! links lead to my BFF Wendy Weixler’s store, whose friendship is something I highly value, and I’m always happy to throw business her way. She does not reimburse me for doing so. If you have your own demo, you can of course change over to them. Buying through these links costs you nothing extra and helps support my blog and my artistic endeavors, and I thank you.
You’ll be able to see all of the Fab Friday team’s creations and post one of your own by visiting the Fab Friday blog. You can also visit the other DT members’ blogs and see what they’ve done with this challenge: